Re: Language and locale setting in /root/dbootstrap_setting

[Michael Bramer]
> btw:
>   I have a new DDTS running for the translation of the tasksel
>   description file.
>
>   Maybe next week we go public and we can start translation this...

Cool. :-)

Is there some document describing the information passed from
boot-floopies to base-config using /root/dbootstrap_setting?

I think it would be a good idea to discuss and agree on how the region
and language information is passed between the systems, and them
implement it.

Currently, I believe LANGUAGE contains the language code using the
two-character ISO 639-2 names,
<URL:http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/langcodes.html>, as
described in RFC 3066.

LANG should contain a valid POSIX locale name (or perhaps a valid
glibc locale name).  A few relevant standards are "ISO DTR 14652 -
locale-standard Specification method for cultural conventions",
<URL:http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg20/docs/n897-14652w25.pdf> and
"ISO 15897: Registration procedures for cultural elements (cultural
registry)", <URL:http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg20/docs/n610.pdf> and
<URL:http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg20/docs/n849-15897wd6.pdf> (new
draft).

Should the string to put in /etc/locale.gen be passed in as well?  It
is required to generate the valid locale.  I'm not sure if it easy to
guess is string based on the locale, or if it is easy to guess locale
based on this string.

Should the country or region be passed as well?

If the information is passed into base-config, then it can be
base-configs responsibility to generate the required locale.  It
should be able to test if the locale is present, and generate it if it
is missing.  I'm not quite sure how it could test this, but checking
/usr/lib/locale/ can be a start.

Passing a valid locale, and making sure the locale is generated should
make tasksel present the translated texts.  At least it works for
Norwegian bokmål.

comments?