Re: Language and locale setting in /root/dbootstrap_setting

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 10:35, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Should the string to put in /etc/locale.gen be passed in as well?  It
> is required to generate the valid locale.  I'm not sure if it easy to
> guess is string based on the locale, or if it is easy to guess locale
> based on this string.

It's fairly easy to go in either direction.  There's certainly no need
to pass both of them separately.  Either dbootstrap can just write out
/etc/locale.gen itself, in which case base-config just needs to call
locale-gen to do the actual generation, or base-config could generate
the contents of /etc/locale.gen based on $LANG.  I don't think it makes
a great deal of difference.

> Should the country or region be passed as well?

Only in the sense that it's encoded in $LANG.  I don't think it's
necessary to pass anything else.

> If the information is passed into base-config, then it can be
> base-configs responsibility to generate the required locale.  It
> should be able to test if the locale is present, and generate it if it
> is missing.  I'm not quite sure how it could test this, but checking
> /usr/lib/locale/ can be a start.

Regenerating the locale is harmless enough even if it already exists.  I
don't think this is something that we should worry about too much.

p.