Re: Creating a new named official debian repository for OpenStack backports (Uploading all of OpenStack to backports)

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 01:57:39PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > Until PPAMAIN becomes reality, the best solution is probably the
> > status quo, i.e. host your repository somewhere else on non-Debian
> > infrastracture.
>
> That's exactly what I have been told isn't good, and I agree with this
> view. Debian packages should be hosted by Debian, and completely be part
> of it. Anything hosted outside is unofficial, and a sad situation that
> needs to be IMO fixed.

While, as a general rule, it would be preferable to have such packages
entirely within Debian, it sounds like there are currently some challenges to
making this happen. It presently isn't a good fit.

While I probably would agree with the reasons, what exactly are your reasons it
"isn't good" to host on external infrastructure?

The first one I can think of is a trust path, but that's easily solved with an
openstack-archive-keyring package within Debian, as several other debian
related projects have done:

  debian-edu-archive-keyring - GnuPG archive keys of the Debian Edu archive
  debian-ports-archive-keyring - GnuPG archive keys of the debian-ports archive
  emdebian-archive-keyring - GnuPG archive keys for the emdebian repository
  pkg-mozilla-archive-keyring - GnuPG archive keys for the Debian Mozilla team package repository
  ubuntu-archive-keyring - GnuPG keys of the Ubuntu archive

The second would be adding to sources.list(.d), but I don't see how that would
be any different from a future PPAMAIN or the current official backports.

Another issue would be buildd infrastructure, if you needed multiple obscure
architectures... how important is that for openstack?

> > You can still take advantage of the debian.net
> > namespace though, e.g. openstack.debian.net.
>
> That doesn't make the packages more official. And if we're to host the
> backport packages on GPLHost own (10 countries) mirrors like now, which
> costs us money, then sorry, but I prefer to advertize about my company
> which provides the infrastructure. I think it's a normal return. Just
> hiding it behind a debian.net name would be IMO unfair.

You're saying you'd rather not use a debian.net domain if you were to host the
backports? Fair enough.

Would it be within reason to host it on alioth or people.debian.org or some
other Debian infrastructure? How much disk space does a full suite of
openstack backports take?

live well,
  vagrant