Re: Creating a new named official debian repository for OpenStack backports (Uploading all of OpenStack to backports)

On 03/09/2014 12:51 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> One other thing comes to mind: for packages that are slightly more
> volatile than what the backports maintainers expect, or large
> collections of packages like OpenStack, is it worthwhile having some
> alternative to wheezy-backports?  E.g. call it wheezy-backports-plus and
> just distribute things from unstable or jessie compiled automatically on
> a wheezy box?

Actually, now that you make me think about it, I know that FTP masters
have already implemented creating "any" new named repository. So I'm
adding them in the loop to ask for it.

So, dear FTP masters, would it be possible for you to create some new
repositories for OpenStack? I would need:
- wheezy-havana
- wheezy-icehouse

and I'd need a new one every 6 months (the next OpenStack release after
Icehouse will be Juno, but that one will probably be over Jessie... not
sure yet).

I know that it's kind of overlapping with PPAMAIN, to which I could
easily move once they are ready. Though I think I need this now, and it
shouldn't be too hard to implement if only a single dak command needs to
be typed (is it as easy as I'm saying? Or does this involves more work?).

Also, considering the amount of packages and the fact that I would
prefer a separate repository makes a lot of sense. It's not like if you
would have this as an every day request...

Last, what I'm willing to do/use is what almost all distributions are
doing. Eg: Ubuntu has cloud archive, RedHat has RDO, etc. So why not in
Debian? :)

What does the FTP masters think of this?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)