Re: Uploading all of OpenStack to backports

Hi

Disclaimer: I'm not a BPO ftpmaster, but a bpo uploader and DD.

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> Hi there!
>
> Currently, I maintain OpenStack in Sid, and maintain a private
> repository for the Wheezy backports. Though I don't like doing this, I
> think OpenStack should be in official Debian repositories only. And
> mostly, everyone uses Wheezy for deployments...
>
> Therefore, I'm considering uploading all of OpenStack and all of the
> needed python dependencies directly within Debian official backports.
> Though the list of package is quite huge. I'm talking here about nearly
> 180 packages. Most of them are in Python.

I would greatly appreciate this. I don't like the fact that I currently
have to add an external repository for my OpenStack deployment. Also
with the requirement that packages must enter testing first I would hope
for some more testing of the packages so I don't get hit by easy bugs as
has happened in the past.

> What is the view of the BPO FTP masters? Do you think that's a good
> plan? If not, why?
>
> If you need the list of packages, you can browse from there:
> http://archive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/havana-backports/main/ (97
> .dsc)

You should coordinate with the relevant maintainers of these packages. I
don't think that just uploading a package to bpo which is maintained by
someone else is acceptable. But as most of these are probably maintained
by the python modules team, I don't expect this to be a problem in
practice if the team agrees that you can provide backports.

> http://archive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/havana/main/ (83 .dsc)
>
> (the first one is direct backports maintained by others, the 2nd one is
> made of packages that are maintained directly by the OpenStack team
> (which nowadays means mainly me). Note that some of the packages in the
> first repo are also maintained (also) by me though the Python module
> team when possible.
>
> Another issue is that it's been hard to have all packages to migrate
> from Sid to testing, so in the future, I might also have such difficulty
> (even though right now, it's in good shape).

As written above I would actually consider this a bonus over the current
situation as there is mostly a reason (RC bug) that these packages don't
enter testing. I guess that transitions shouldn't be a big problem for
python modules.

I would be willing to help with the backporting effort as time permits.

Gaudenz