Re: SATA Silicon Image 3114 support for A64 images ?

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 06:19:54AM +0300, eternalnewbee wrote:
> But, I am not interested in whether it was sw raid or not --not that
> box anyway.
>
> All I wanted was the raid *functionality*. I dont care if it comes
> through sw or lord knows what. I need raid that works accross multiple
> OSes. That is all.
>
> I am just begging that someone integrate dmraid into debian installer;
> I wish I was that good at it to be able to do it myself.

I never got the impression dmraid was that stable yet, but perhaps
someone could add that support in, if it actually works.  Probably part
of the problem is that many of those that could do it, don't care to as
they don't run windows and would prefer linux software raid.  That is
one of the problems we have with open source free software, only what
people care about is being worked on (where it is the what the
implementor cares about that matters, not the end user).

> 3ware and Adaptec had their days and they are over. Unfortunaltely
> I have many of those cards.

What can you currently buy that is better than the 3ware for running
with Linux?

> What you want is Areca. http://www.areca.com.tw

Well they do appear to have open source drivers, and have a neat card.
Nice to see someone else getting into the business doing the right
thing.

Too bad their web site or rather ftp server is a mess.  Many of the
links on their web page give ftp errors about module not currently
available (including the linux driver dir, many of the manuals, etc).

Now if I could see their manual I would be able to tell if their PCI-X
card works in regular PCI slots, and how many machines have PCIe x8
slots yet?  I have seen x1 and x4 quite a bit, but not x8.

> Avalilable in PCI-X and PCIe, it supports both SATA II and RAID6
> (so that you're still safe even if 2 drives fail). Here are the links.

Raid6?  Will have to look that one up.

> For the benchmark:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041227/areca-raid6-06.html

To me those benchmarks say "Get the 3ware instead".

> This is where you get the source code:
> ftp://60.248.88.208/RaidCards/AP_Drivers/Linux/DRIVER/SourceCode

Yeah that's one of the ftp dirs that doesnt' work right now.

> It will, except that I would simply replace the current ones
> with those --to double up the capacity. So, it does not really
> help the greed :-)

That would be a rather large number of T1s in one system.

> Former. And a bit of latter <g>

Well no simple solution it seems, given I don't believe dmraid is
considered very robust or stable yet.  Given lvm and software raid only
made it into the Debian installer fairly recently, I am not surprised
support for dmraid did not.  Things have to be rather stable and well
understood to make it into the installer as far as I can tell.

I can't even figoure out if dmraid works isng the dm-mirror module, or
something else that isn't even included in the standard 2.6 kernel
sources.