Re: SATA Silicon Image 3114 support for A64 images ?

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:18:27PM +0300, eternalnewbee wrote:
> As I said earlier, SW RAID wass out of question: the box was to
> have multi-OS installation.

You ARE using software raid, just with some BIOS support and drivers for
windows.  That doesn't change it from being software raid.  I think I
even read in a magazine recently how eo enable software raid in win xp
even though it is only supposed to be a feature in the higher server
versions.

There are very few hardware raid cards that do SATA.  3ware is one
maker, and I think adaptec has one or two models (most of theirs are not
hardware raid), and highpoint migh thave one model.  The 3ware is the
only one I know of with open source drivers.  You certainly don't get
hardware raid onboard except some very high end servers (almost always
scsi).

> I have no shortage of 3ware cards. But, I needed all the PCI
> slots; this was a comm center box which needed as many
> WanPipe/Digium cards.

Did you know there is an 8 port wanpipe card coming out in the next 3
months?  That might help your pci slot problem.  On the other hand, why
would you need to dual boot a machine that is used for such things?
Developing for both linux and windows or just playing around?

> <BigEvilishGrin>
> This is a recorded message, isn't it?
> </BigEvilishGrin>

Well not really, just more general purpose good advice.