Re: PATA System Slowdown

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:12:22AM -0400, John Baab wrote:
> Now that I have both my PATA and SATA hard drives functional, I
> decided to test the speeds that I am getting from both of them and
> have found it surprising that my PATA is actually getting better
> speeds than my SATA:
>
> optimusprime:/home/john# hdparm -t /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>  Timing buffered disk reads:   80 MB in  3.00 seconds =  26.63 MB/sec
> HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate
> ioctl for device

I have an Asus A8V-Deluxe here with a VIA chipset, and using 250G WD
7200rpm SATA drives, and I get 56M/s, while with 120G WD drives on an
intel ICH5R SATA controlelr I get 30M/s.

I have no PATA drives other than a dvd-burner so I can't test the speed
of that.

Both using 2.6.11.  The A8V is running a 64bit enabled kernel but 32bit
user space, while the intel is just a normal P4 HT running 32bit.

Remember that if the system is busy doing other things, it will affect
your speed too.

> optimusprime:/home/john# hdparm -t /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  140 MB in  3.01 seconds =  46.55 MB/sec
>
> Both hard drives are Western Digital 7200RPM.  The SATA is a 200GB
> drive and the PATA is a 100GB drive.  My board is an Asus K8V SE
> Deluxe, I am using the VIA IDE controller and the VIA SATA controller
> (which I read on the list is supposed to be faster than the promise
> SATA controller that is also on the board)

Is the promise controller even supported?  I never found an open source
driver for the promise on the A8V yet, so I haven't tried it.