Re: SATA Silicon Image 3114 support for A64 images ?

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 03:22:27PM +0300, eternalnewbee wrote:

I have a Windows 2003 Server with 4 RAID cards, and it is a little
easier (than say WinXP, I suppose) to get their PCI IDs under Win2K3.

The first one below is 3Ware RAID card which has had its driver
as part of Linux kernel for ages. I am only giving details about
this card to help you sort out what is what whith the others.

I too have had similar installation problems with SATA-RAID stuff
with SiI chipset and I was forced not to use Debian.

Well I would say you could have used Debian, you would just have had to
use a different SATA card or a newer kernel.

Naturally you are not responsible for the evils in the world :-)
so don't take this as a personal world :-) But, to have to buy
another card just to be able to run Debian is sort of an overkill,
isn't it?

Best is of course to check compatibility of hardware before buying it.

I could not agree more. Except that, I was not spoilt for choice,
this is a dual Opteron box (Tyan K8W) and at the time there were
not a lot of producers that supplied this.

SiliconImage SiI 3114 SATARaid Controller

This one is at least supported in 2.6.10 and above, in plain SATA mode.
Using the proprietary software raid crap in the Sil chips isn't
recomended.

Why not?

The lowly Windows has been doing just fine with SiI; why is it not
recommended under Linux?

CPU cycles?

What if I have sufficient cycles, but need as many PCI slots as I
can together with RAID protection?

If you want hardware SATA raid, get the 3ware above. The rest work
> fine fr running linux software raid (which is how I use the Sil
> controllers).

Having to purchase another PCI card just to be able to have RAID
does not only cost more, but it also means I have one PCI slot less..