Re: [patch 3/2] m68k: Atari EtherNAT - add writew_be for data push

Hi Frank,

That means it got past the point where the EtherNEC load failed
previously (right at kernel boot time, before the installer gets started).

Yes.

So the driver is indeed provided as a module now. Good.

The file rename sure can be done in the nect ISO, fixing the cause of
the hang may required changes to the bootstrap itself...

Well, I guess there are not too many volunteers for this task. :-)

I guess not. I have never built TOS binaries from Linux myself. Roman Hodek or Andreas Schwab had built a cross compiler and a TOS libc package but I'm not sure these are still working.

Can you switch to an alternate console (alt-f2 or ctrl-alt-f2 etc.)? The
installer used to log its internal state and progress to one of the
consoles (4, or 7, ??), the output there might be helpful.

Yes, see below as well.

Good - after the module load from the installer has completed (or failed),
could you please try lsmod to see what modules were loaded?

So, this is so far the complete protocol of my tests:

1.) Tried to start from cd rom (bootstra.prg)
Output: Unable to get kernel image vmlinux

bootarhs path problem, I suppose?

Copied everything to harddisc, renamed bootstra.prg to bootstra.tos

bootargs:

-s -d -k c:\linux\vmlinuz -r c:\linux\initrd.gz root=/dev/ram
video=atafb:vga16 console=tty load_ramdisk=1 fb=false

2.) Booted from TOS, no additinal programs loaded, Resolution 16
Colours, 640x480

Bootstra.prg started:

Linux/68k Atari Bootstrap version 6.0snapshot Dec 13 2004
                                    ^^^ (think there is a whitespace
character missing)

I think it the package name is 6.0snapshot so that would be correct.

Type a key to continue the Linux boot...

[This should be corrected as well because you have to press RETURN all
the other keys do not work]

Looks like it - I would have thought other keys work when starting the boot as a GEM program, though.

s/a key/Enter/ would be possible using a hex editor, so we can fix that at least.

Floppy and Harddisk LED start to flash

kernel heartbeat.

Screens gets distorted

Ramdisk written over old screen buffer, or kernel starts using old screen buffer as buffer cache.

After a while the screen changes to a readable console output (black
screen, white letters)
[but unfortunately this is too much and too fast to type in]

console=ttyS1 console=tty would save that to the serial line. Not required, though, as you are clearly getting the boot to complete.

Then the screen gets blue, white input mask, black letters and you have
to chose language
"English - English" chosen
Screens gets blue
Chose a country
"other" chosen
Screen gets blue
Chose a continent or region
"Europe" chosen
Screen gets blue
Chose a country
"Germany" chosen
Screen gets blue

Please try to switch to console 2 at this stage. The keyboard should be working,
with US keymap.

Select a keyboard layout
"German (atari)" chosen

Please try to switch to console 2 at this stage. Does the keyboard still work
as it should?

Screen gets blue
Detecting hardware to find CD-ROM drives
Detecting hardware, please wait...
After a while screen gets blue again
Then:

No common CD-ROM drive was detected
Load CD-ROM drivers from removable media?
Then keyboard input is impossible

I guess the german keymap is the old Atari one, from days past, before I
rewrote the keyboard driver for Linux keycodes via input interface.
If keyboard input is garbled after setting the keymap to German(Atari), all keymaps have to be regenerated, or removed. Better not load a keymap at all.

Pushed Reset button

3.) Booted again, now with a cd-rom media (not a burnt one) inserted but
obviously not a Linux iso

[...]

<Continue>

[Pressed RETURN again]

Debian installer main menu appeared

[Changed the cd to debian etch m68k (04.10.2008)]

Chose "Detect and mount a CD-ROM"
Screen gets blue
Detecting hardware to find CD-ROM drives
Detecting hardware, please wait...

Screen gets blue
Scanning CD-ROM [that was succesful]

Something seems to be wrong with your CD-ROM drive ... can you try inserting the disk only after Linux has booted?

Detecting network hardware
Screen gets blue

[!] Detect network hardware
No Ethernet card was detected. If you know the name of the driver needed
by your Ethernet card, you can select it from the list.

Driver needed by your Ethernet card:

"Atari_ethernec" chosen
Screen gets blue

At this stage, try lsmod from the console 2 shell. atari_ethernec should be in the list. If it isn't, check for output on console 4. If you can pass module parameters for atari_ethernec, use io=0x300 as parameters.

Select a partition

"IDE master, part. 4 4.0 GiB ext2" chosen and formatted with ext3
"IDE master, part. 6 1.0 GiB swap" chosen and installed as swap

Then after a while

Console 1:
==========
[!!] Install the base system
Debootstrap warning
Warning: file:://cdrom/dists/etch-m68k/main/binary-m68k/Packages was corrupt
<Go Back> <Continue>

Can you checksum that file on another computer, to check if the CD is OK? If there is md5sum in the install ramdisk, you may be able to checksum it from the installer itself as well.

Console 4:
==========
Call Trace: [<00041400>] sched_clock_cpu+0x0/0x18
set_use_nice+0x0/0x114
schedule+0x0/0x344
schedule0x12a/0x344
_stext+0x359/0x1000
kernel_thread+0x0/0x4e
Sched_setscheduler+0x0/0x2dc
find_task_by_pid_ns+0x0/0x10
schedule+0x0/0x344
_stext+0x359/0x1000
complete+0x0/0x34
complete+0x0/0x34
kthreadd+0x12a/0x142
__bio_copy_iov+0x72/0x11a
__aio_put_req+0x4a/0x140
kthreadd+0x0/0x142
printk+0x0/0x1a
kernel_thread+0x3a/0x4e

That looks odd - and the main part of the oops is missing. You can capture this
message from the serial line only. I'll look up the precise console= syntax at home for this.

If the CD-ROM is intact, I can only assume that SCSI and IDE don't play well together. Unfortunately, we cannot use IDE CD-ROM due to the byte-swapped IDE interface, right?