Re: signage

On 08/19/2014 11:33 PM, tony mancill wrote:
On 08/19/2014 10:02 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 01:05:39PM -0700, tony wrote:
As for badges, have we decided on text layout?

The last 2 years had:
IRC Nick
Name
languages spoken (en, es, fr, de, etc.)
We don't have language preference data in summit, so this would be just IRC
nick + name.
I don't know whether anyone is preparing a script (or if there's an
existing script to work from).  My understanding is that Matto is
working on the template, but that this is is distinct from the script.
Somewhat related - I have the Front Desk printer and am printing to it
fine from CUPS, so that part should be ready to test once we have source
data + template.

Hiya,

I have just checked-in:
 a) an inkscape 'template' for printing 3 badges (folded)
 b) a proof-of-concept shell script that produces a PDF from command-line
    arguments of three nicknames and three fullnames.

The script is pretty mediocre (3am quality) --- but it is pretty self-
-explanatory if anyone wants to enhance it or transmute the functionality
into another language/script.  Basic operation is:
  * copy template to a new inkscape file;
  * tweak svg xml via xmlstarlet to set the name strings
  * run inkscape in batch mode to produce a PDF
Prereqs (debian packages) are listed at the top of the shell script.

The first thing Tony should do is run the script with whatever six arguments
he wants to generate a PDF from template.  (The arguments could all be "" to
generate a PDF for blank badges with no names.)  Then, try printing it, and
make sure that the preforations end up in the right places.  A finished
badge should look something like the attached image.

I left about a 1/10th inch safety margin to account for imperfect sheet feed;
if this turns out to be inadequate, tell me I'll make the safety zone bigger.

-m