Re: signage

On 08/18/2014 07:46 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 01:18:33AM -0700, Matto Marjanovic wrote:
>
>> I have checked-in printable PDF files for the large 36"x24" signs, so
>> that Tony can do some printing tomorrow.  Since no one in this
>> organization provided any feedback to my questions about the actual
>> *content* of the signs, the text in these signs is pretty generic:
>> "Front Desk", "Room 327", etc.
>
> The rooms already have signage from the university, I don't know that it
> makes sense to reproduce the university's own names for the rooms on the
> signs.
>
> Would it be better to label these "Talk Room 1" - "Talk Room 3", and
> "Hacklab 1", "Hacklab 2"?

I have printed (1) each of the "Front Desk" and "Plenary Session" signs
on 24"x36" media, which is 2 of the 5 files ready under
./dc14/artwork/signage.  I didn't start the Room XXX signs because there
isn't yet consensus on what they're supposed to have in them.  So, to
put it directly.  Is "Talk Room [123]" the final desired content for the
24x36 artwork that will display the sponsor logo in the talk rooms?

It would be helpful to nail down the content desired and maintain the
momentum on this task (since I should be switching over to badges soon;
I have the supplies in hand).  If at all possible, I would like to print
more signs tomorrow.

As with the test print, the files Matto is producing look *great*.
Also, the printer now has Satin paper installed, and I disabled the
"glossy finisher" step, so they're less shiny than the sample sign.

I went to Target and Office Depot to look at backing boards, but they
were all either too small or quite expensive (~$6 per piece for 36x48),
so I'm going to keep looking.

>> This should keep Tony's printing pipeline full while the people who
>> want a huge horizontal banner use the miracle of consensus to figure
>> out what size it should be.
>
> 3'x5' should be more than adequate.  Maybe 2'x5', if we're worried about the
> height.

I can try to do something at 3'x5'; it will take about 2 hours to print
it, so the sooner we have the source file, the better. However, I don't
have a good way to cut off the extra 1' for a 2'x5'.  If that's what we
want, somebody skilled with an X-Acto can have at it.

Thank you,
tony