Re: Project for someone with time and will: website update

On Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 14:22:30 +0100, Lesley Binks wrote:

> > ??Let me try again.
> I find that an incredibly condescending thing to say.

  I'm sorry you feel that way, I was attempting to clarify
 my comment in a more explicit fashion.  "Try again" because
 I clearly failed to convey my intended message, not because
 I believed you were incapable of understanding me.

  Either way I'm sorry that it sounded condescending to
 yourself or anybody else .

> > ??Over the past few *years* the Debian Women
> > ??project has stagnated; with few additional women joining the
> > ??project.

> I can't comment on why the Debian Women project has stagnated
> in the past few years.  I can suggest various reasons why that has
> occurred.

  Reasons aside I think it is clear, and regrettable, that it
 has.  Hopefully that will change.

> So the adoption of a clear anti-harrassment policy at conferences
> is nothing of note?  The restarting of the d-w mentoring scheme,
> the continuing progression of some female contributors to DM
> reflects no activity?
> Perhaps you think the project isn't doing anything because
> you don't see it.

  I'll refer you back to previous messages where it is apparent
 that things are starting to pick up again after a lengthy

  Some things have happened, momentum was lost, and only now
 is this list active again (for example.)

> I would be very surprised if people who are involved in the Debian
> project *don't* mention it on their CVs in some way. A portfolio is
> external proof of ability and that may be useful.  I fail to see why
> portfolio building should not be important to both women and men.

  Indeed.  But there is a difference between:

    * I would like to help make the site.
      (PS. I will add it to my portfolio.)

    * I want a nice portfolio.
      (PS.  How can I help get claim this project?)

  The initial messages were of the first form, your presentation
 gave the idea your motivation was more in the direction of the
 second form.

Debian GNU/Linux System Administration