[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Project for someone with time and will: website update

On 29 April 2011 12:07, Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 03:48:32 +0100, Lesley Binks wrote:
>> > ?? ??* Over the past few months things have stagnated.
>> Well, I would disagree. The d-w mentoring scheme has
>> assigned about 12 people (male and female) to mentors (male and female)
>> within the d-w project since September 2010.
>  Let me try again.
I find that an incredibly condescending thing to say.
>  Over the past few *years* the Debian Women
>  project has stagnated; with few additional women joining the
>  project.
I can't comment on why the Debian Women project has stagnated
in the past few years.  I can suggest various reasons why that has

>  I'm pleased new mentors have been found, I'm pleased there
>  is discussion upon the list again, I'm pleased this seems to
>  be beginning to change again, but objectively there has
>  been little "recent" activity.
So the adoption of a clear anti-harrassment policy at conferences
is nothing of note?  The restarting of the d-w mentoring scheme,
the continuing progression of some female contributors to DM
reflects no activity?

Perhaps you think the project isn't doing anything because
you don't see it.

>> I think d-w is gender-inclusive and the d-w mentoring
>> program has helped both male and female mentees find mentors.
>  That is good.
>> If there was no one else with the interest, confidence or w.h.y.
>> to 'do' the website then I would accept that it is better the job is done
>> rather than worry about the gender of the person doing it.
>  And this is even better.
>> However,  I would certainly feel ambivalent about a group dedicated to the
>> promotion of women within the Debian community having its
>> website built by a bloke.
>  I guess, as a bloke, that I tend to concentrate upon the other aim of
>  the Debian Women group, which is to make Debian easier to become
>  involved with for *anybody*, although obviously Women are the
>  main market.
>> Why?  If there are enough women with the relevant skills and time in
>> debian-women to do a debian-women related task, why should a
>> bloke do the job instead?
>  Then we come down to finding volunteers, and wondering why nothing
>  has changed (significantly) over the past couple of years.
As Helen has already said, we will be having a meeting about the website
as a project for people in the debian-women channel at some point.  There
is another thread on this list centering on that.

>> If you're claiming there is no kudos in being involved with the Debian
>> project or any particular sub-project, be it debian-women, dsa,
>> debian-security, debian-perl or any other part of the Debian project,
>> then I will equally claim you are wrong.
>  Indeed I accept people gain recognition from such activities, but
>  at the same time if "Lee[0]" wants to make the website better for
>  the website visitors then "Lee's notoriety" matters less than
>  the fact that we've all gained from an updated website.
>From the project viewpoint, I agree, we have an updated website and
we gain from that.  Separately, from Lee's viewpoint, he/she/it(?) has
another little thing to add to their/its CV i.e. their portfolio of work
done, skills learnt or refreshed and commitment shown.

>  On that basis I'm slightly suspicious that you've said it
>  would be good to have for your portfolio - something nobody else
>  has mentioned really.  Still if the upshot is that there is a site
>  which everybody loves then I guess you've done a good job and the
>  portfolio is part of that.  No real difference there than somebody
>  who wants to maintain a package they use - and in the same
>  OpenSource spirit *everybody* benefits from an active maintainer.
I would be very surprised if people who are involved in the Debian
project *don't* mention it on their CVs in some way. A portfolio is
external proof of ability and that may be useful.  I fail to see why
portfolio building should not be important to both women and men.

Kind Regards

Lesley Binks

A: because it disrupts the normal flow of conversation.
Q: why is top-posting so annoying?
A: top-post reply.
Q: what's the most annoying thing you can do in email?

Reply to: