[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Project for someone with time and will: website update

On 29 April 2011 01:44, Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu Apr 28, 2011 at 19:02:16 +0100, Lesley Binks wrote:
>> However, as one of the many females in the group who has the skill required
>> to build a site from scratch and the skill to figure out what I need
>> to know to get a web based project done, I can't begin to express
>> how strongly I am opposed to any idea of a man taking on our website.
>  To break this down:
>    * There are many *people* both male and female who are capable
>      of updating, maintaining, or creating the Debian Women website.
>    * Over the past few months things have stagnated.
Well, I would disagree. The d-w mentoring scheme has
assigned about 12 people (male and female) to mentors (male and female)
within the d-w project since September 2010.
>    * If momentum is to be re-create then something needs to change,
>      and part of that requires finding people to volunteer for
>      various tasks.
>  If the maintainer, updater, or creator of the site, or any project
>  has the time, the skill, and the willingness to take over a job
>  *which is currently being neglected* then disregarding that offer
>  on the basis of gender is almost exactly the wrong way that a project
>  designed to be inclusive, friendly, and encouraging of people should
>  be managed.

I think d-w is gender-inclusive and the d-w mentoring
program has helped both male and female mentees find mentors.
If there was no one else with the interest, confidence or w.h.y.
to 'do' the website then I would accept that it is better the job is done
rather than worry about the gender of the person doing it.  However,
 I would certainly feel ambivalent about a group dedicated to the
promotion of women within the Debian community having its
website built by a bloke.  No disrespect intended to any man with
the relevant skills but women most certainly have these skills too.
I feel part of what the d-w project promotes is the expression of
those skills by women for women within the Debian framework.

>  I almost don't want to reply here, but I suspect that I'm not
>  alone.  If I am then so be it, but so far you've had no replies
>  (unless I'm behind a slow line again.  meh.)
>> Why should we make it harder on ourselves just so some bloke(!) can
>> get the kudos of having built a website for part of the Debian project?
>  Words.  Fail.  Me.
Why?  If there are enough women with the relevant skills and time in
debian-women to do a debian-women related task, why should a
bloke do the job instead? Particularly with no regard to the changes
the wider Debian project has made w.r.t the debian.org website?
(i.e. ikiwiki versus Drupal and the opportunity to make the d-w project
more visibly part of the wider Debian project)

If you're claiming there is no kudos in being involved with the Debian
project or any particular sub-project, be it debian-women, dsa,
debian-security, debian-perl or any other part of the Debian project,
then I will equally claim you are wrong.  Kudos may well not be the prime
objective for most involved in the project, particularly over the long term,
but I do believe some kudos is earned from effort and involvement in the
Debian project.


Kind Regards

Lesley Binks

A: because it disrupts the normal flow of conversation.
Q: why is top-posting so annoying?
A: top-post reply.
Q: what's the most annoying thing you can do in email?

Reply to: