Re: DW quotes

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:06:56 +0200, Erinn Clark <erinn@double-helix.org> wrote:

* martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2005:06:16 18:10 +0200]:
A question for the women who have had enough exposure to the pre-DW
Debian community: were incidences of males coming on to you
a regular thing, or rather the exception?

That depends how far you extend the word "community" -- eg, #debian may
be part of the "community" and holy crap, yes, lots of flirting, sexual
harassment, and general Bad Behavior. While lots of people don't count
#debian because they "know" it's a cesspool,

 That's how IRC for the masses devolve, you know.  When the strings
"asl" or "r u horny" appear frequently, the true adults will feel
awkward.  I only know "IRC for the masses" by (bad) reputation.
Myself, I believe in IRC for the niches.  If an IRC channel loses
focus, it devolves.

it's still an entry point for many people (including myself),
just like mailing lists are...

 Sadly, this _will_ give many people a bad start, and they
_will_ tend to blame Debian, geeks and Linux in general.

--
Herman Robak,
herman at skolelinux no