Re: DW quotes

also sprach Christine Spang <spangarang@twcny.rr.com> [2005.06.15.0539 +0200]:
> world-spanning project, learned a ton of new things, and now have
> multiple good acquaintances on three continents that would take
> you off the street and split their last dollar to feed you -- all
> without being flamed in the process?

I don't know which project you've been part of, but this has always
been the case in Debian for me. There are certain individuals known
to be difficult, but most of them are just as friendly and eager to
help. So unless you are very thin-skinned, you quickly learn whom to
avoid.

The only reason I am writing this is because -- in my impression --
DW's work causes more and more people to consider that the rest of
Debian as just a bunch of rough cowboys who don't place any value on
cooperation or getting along. With the addition of Ubuntu to the
scene ("humane Linux"), this becomes even worse.

And I really don't think it's the case. Debian has always been and
continues to be an amazingly cooperative project. Any project of
this size will come with black sheep, so there is nothing inherently
bad about the Debian project per se.

This is just my two cents. Please don't read criticism into this.
I've tried to formulate it as diplomatic as possible, but I am
running out of time.

`. `'`

"i like .net for the same reason i like gentoo. it keeps all the
 people with no clue from writing c code, which is much harder for me
 to identify and eliminate from my systems. in the same way that
 gentoo gives those people a place to be that isn't in debian"
                                                  -- andrew suffield