Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PowerEdge_servers#Generation_13

> Talos II workstation,

I'm not sure how old these are, but they are really expensive and seem
to have a very small userbase.

>  HP ProLiant ML310e small server,

The CPU is from 2011 according
to https://ark.intel.com/content/www/de/de/ark/products/52269/intel-xeon-processor-e31220-8m-cache-3-10-ghz.html

(I took the CPU from
https://www.reichelt.de/de/de/hp-proliant-ml310e-gen8-v2-server-1-wahl-hp-pl-ml310e-p331526.html?r=1)

> and Lenovo X200/X201 laptops.  Yeah the laptop is 10+ years old,
> but to be honest every time I try a modern laptop I don't notice any
> real difference except fancier display and longer battery life, neither
> of which I find important.
>
> Yes I am aware that I can install non-free firmware on the R630, but for
> my purposes (VM host, CI/CD, fuzzing, crypto/math computations) they do
> more harm than good so I chose not to.

I don't think everyone can affort the energy (in)efficiency of a decade
old hardware. Most users will also have more recent hardware; I don't
know much 10+ years hardware still in productive use...

Either way, such ancient hardware is probably not a good example for
the firmware problem: it was a significantly smaller problem back then.

Ansgar