Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Fri, 2022-08-19 at 16:23 +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> Do we need to update the Debian Social Contract for that?
> Specifically paragraph 1, which currently reads
>
>      Debian will remain 100% free

No. Just like we don't need to update the Debian Social Contract for
having https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/: we just ship
additional files that might be useful for people having specific
hardware.

I don't see a difference between having non-free files in the archive
and non-free files on the installation images. If having individual
non-free files was not acceptable then we would have to define the
archive not part of Debian as well.

In addition the Social Contract explicitly asks people building
installation images[1] to include the "contrib" and "non-free" parts of
the archive. With this change we just follow that ourselves 😼

Ansgar

  [1]: Okay, it talks about CDs.