Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Ansgar <ansgar@43-1.org> writes:

> On Fri, 2022-08-19 at 16:23 +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
>> Do we need to update the Debian Social Contract for that?
>> Specifically paragraph 1, which currently reads
>>
>>      Debian will remain 100% free
>
> No. Just like we don't need to update the Debian Social Contract for
> having https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/: we just ship
> additional files that might be useful for people having specific
> hardware.

I disagree -- what is being proposed here is to replace our current
DSC-compatible free software installer images with non-free.  That goes
significantly further than what the spirit of DSC§5 suggests.

I think the right balance for Debian would be to continue publish free
and non-free installer images.  I would prefer if Debian becamse a 100%
free software project, but alas that doesn't seem to be the majority
opinion.

/Simon