Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Bart Martens dijo [Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 06:24:32PM +0200]:
> > >   We will include non-free firmware packages from the
> > >   "non-free-firmware" section of the Debian archive on our official
> > >   media (installer images and live images).
> > >   We will publish these images as official Debian media, replacing the
> > >                                                          ^^^^^^^^^
> > >   current media sets that do not include non-free firmware packages.
> >
> > We are replacing stuff very often, for example when we update the installer it
> > is replaced too. For me, the replace in the proposal is meaning that kind of
> > replacing.
>
> Yes indeed. It's replacing a free installer by a non-free one.
>
> > We'd not taking anything away in respect to the spirit of SC-1.
>
> We'd take away the free installer.

If a free installer is still produced and offered alongside the one
including non-free-firmware, would you feel more at ease? That sounds
like an easy compromise to make, and many people would probably
welcome it.

Debian would recommend the one with non-free-firmware, for the
purposes of enabling users to install on current hardware, but both
would be available.