Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Tobias Frost <tobi@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 07:39:21AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Ansgar <ansgar@43-1.org> writes:

>> > No. Just like we don't need to update the Debian Social Contract for
>> > having https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/: we just ship
>> > additional files that might be useful for people having specific
>> > hardware.
>>
>> I disagree -- what is being proposed here is to replace our current
>> DSC-compatible free software installer images with non-free.  That goes
>> significantly further than what the spirit of DSC§5 suggests.
>
> It not being replaced; there are just additional bits in there which
> help people to actually be able to install Debian on some modern machines.

That seems incorrect.  Here is a quote from the proposal:

  We will include non-free firmware packages from the
  "non-free-firmware" section of the Debian archive on our official
  media (installer images and live images).
  We will publish these images as official Debian media, replacing the
                                                         ^^^^^^^^^
  current media sets that do not include non-free firmware packages.

I think this is both a step in the wrong direction, and a step too far
in the wrong direction.

/Simon