Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 10:53:46AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> writes:
>>
>> > In practice, the free installer is useless on its own.
>>
>> That is not my experience -- I'm using Debian through its installer on a
>> number of laptops, desktops and servers, and for my purposes it works
>> fine and in general I have not needed to enable non-free/contrib for
>> hardware support.  You may have other purposes for which it does not
>> work, but that doesn't make it useless for everyone, and there are
>> alternatives available to solve your use-case (unofficial non-free
>> installer) that doesn't entail the cost of abandoning the free software
>> ideals of the Debian project.
>>
>> /Simon
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> I don't think you quite picked up on my meaning. The free installer is
> absolutely useless _because_ you are already using a machine containing a bunch
> of firmware (that you may or may not know anything about) - disk drives, basic
> drivers for graphics cards. If the free installer works, it's because you
> already have firmware.

Hi Andrew.  Ah, thanks for explaining what you meant.  I have no problem
with builtin non-upgradeable firmware -- see
https://ryf.fsf.org/about/criteria for rationale.  So I still disagree
with you, but now for a different reason.

> Now we're in a situation where non-free firmware is absolutely required for
> basic functionality - without the Intel non-free firmware, you can't run
> sound for a visually impaired user to install if you have some Intel laptops.
> That VI user will *never* be able to install Debian.

That is not true.  They can chose not to buy a machine with that
unwanted property.  There is a gazillion devices that won't be able to
run Debian for many different reasons, I don't see how this is an
argument to necessarily include proprietary software in Debian.

/Simon