Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> writes:

> In practice, the free installer is useless on its own.

That is not my experience -- I'm using Debian through its installer on a
number of laptops, desktops and servers, and for my purposes it works
fine and in general I have not needed to enable non-free/contrib for
hardware support.  You may have other purposes for which it does not
work, but that doesn't make it useless for everyone, and there are
alternatives available to solve your use-case (unofficial non-free
installer) that doesn't entail the cost of abandoning the free software
ideals of the Debian project.

/Simon