Re: Question to all: Outreach

On 2020/03/20 02:12, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 3:30 PM Jonathan Carter wrote:
>> Non-uploading DD's existed at the time, I just had no interest in
>> becoming a non-uploading DD when it was already my intent to become an
>> uploading DD.
>
> I don't think any one membership state should be perceived as "final",
> people gain and relinquish both upload privileges and membership
> (going from non-member to uploading DD and then non-uploading DD etc).
> Also, I assume that non-member -> uploading DD and non-member ->
> non-uploading DD -> uploading DD are basically the same amount of
> time/work. I suppose the latter even has the advantage of splitting up
> that time/work over time. I think I like the idea of de-coupling the
> membership from upload privileges even more somehow.

*nod*, I would really like to see that happen too. Just fixing the
current naming of these membership types would already help a bit, but
it would be nice to take it just a little further.

I would advocate for partial decoupling rather than complete decoupling.
For example, you could have dependencies eg. if you'd like to apply for
full upload access rights to the Debian archive, then you have to be a
Debian project member first. But as you say, this is something that can
be taken further on -project.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage