Re: Question to Brian: Why do you need to be DPL to set up foundations?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 08:53:13PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:

> I will reiterate this before the election, but people do have choices when
> voting.
>
> 1) If you want Foundations, and want me as DPL, please rank me the highest.
>
> 2) If you want Foundations, but don't want me as DPL, please just put your
> favorite candidate(s) above me, but please do place me above "None of the
> Above".
>
> 3) If you don't want Debian Foundations rank me below "None of the Above".
>
> The only option I am asking people not to consider is electing me as DPL
> without a mandate to work on the Foundations. If you are opposed to the
> formation of Debian Formations, I'd ask that you please rank me below
> "None of the Above".

I am very uncomfortable with the idea of embedding a GR vote in the
relative placement of options in a DPL elections.

I would like to rank people in a DPL election based on how I would like
people to be DPL. That is what I understand our voting system is
supposed to do, and what in my experience it has been doing reasonably
well.

I fear that piggybacking extra meaning into it as you seem to propose,
would compromise the quality of the results both of the foundations GR
embedded in the election, and in the DPL election itself.

As an example of a voting options that I am considering ad that does not
fit with your proposals above, I would very likely vote for you above
NOTA for a pure DPL election, and I would very likely vote in favour of
a GR option to create a Debian Foundation. I would however rank you
below NOTA if you insisted in conflating the two, as I cannot endorse
what I see as a misuse of our voting system. You would however
incorrectly interpret my vote as a vote against the idea of a Debian
Foundation, underestimating support for something you care about.

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/634F4BD1E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>