Re: Question to all: Outreach

On 17/03/20 10:02 pm, Hector Oron wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   First of all, thanks for nominating yourselves to Debian project leaders.
>
>   Debian Outreach looks like an awesome initiative to bring new blood
> into Debian and also people coming from minority groups, however, on
> the other hand, it has been a quite expensive to run for the real
> benefit provided to Debian project. Reading the delegation text:
>     https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/03/msg00011.html.
>   I find 2 out of 3 team coordinators are not Debian
> contributors/developers, and the other seems to be inactive.
>
>   Q: How do you feel on having non-Debian contributors/developers
> being DPL delegates?
I am not very comfortable with the non-Debian members as DPL delegates
and also representing Debian to the outside world. The efforts of
everyone who contributes to Debian is valuable, but I think when it
comes to the Outreach team, they are in fact representing  official
Debian project. In such a scenario I would definitely prefer Debian
members. As a project we should be able to address this. Either we would
have to find Debian members to be the coordinators or existing
coordinators could explore the possibility of becoming Debian members.
To be honest, if I become DPL, I would not be comfortable delegating to
people who are not Debian members.
>   Q: Do you see any flaws on the current Outreach setup? If so, how
> would you address them?

Yes, I would not say the current Outreach setup is without flaws. I am
aware that we do get some regular contributors through Outreachy, but we
need to revisit and check what is the expense to return ratio. We need
to have a better feedback loop as to if we are not able to retain
contributors after the Outreachy period, where we are going wrong and
what we can do to improve this.

As mentioned in my platform, I am running for DPL primarily with
"Diversity" in focus. So if I become DPL, I would definitely take it on
personally to analyze Outreachy/diversity budget and efficiency. Even
when I advocate for diversity, doing things and spending money in the
name of diversity with no returns is not something I support. Right now
I do not have a perfect picture about the current scenario, but this
would be one of the priorities as DPL.