Re: Question to all: Outreach

Hi Paul

On 2020/03/19 15:19, Paul Wise wrote:
> I'm saying that when we think someone deserves to be a delegate (or
> join a core team), then at minimum they need to go through the
> (non-uploading) DD process before becoming a delegate. If we trust
> them to be a delegate, it would be weird to not trust them enough to
> be a member.

Yes, the above part is the part we definitely agreed on.

> Is there something about the membership process (or the status itself)
> that makes potential delegates (and their advocates) want to skip the
> process or avoid being members?

I don't think so. In my case, I was persuing the path of DM -> DD.
Adding the extra step of DM -> DM and Non-uploading DD -> Uploading DD
would probably not have happened much faster and probably would just
have wasted a few people's time. I think at the time (2016) there were
also some problems if you wanted to be both a DM and a non-uploading DD
so I skipped that complication.

But yes, in general, I think the time it takes is why people don't
immediately go for it. That's not too say the process is too long or
cumbersome, even if it's just a 2 day process, when you're neck-deep in
DebConf matters, you're going to put your focus there until you have
some time to focus on the NM process. In Bernelle's case, she's applying
for non-uploading DD and is going through the NM process so it's again
just a time thing, and I think it's just one of those things that's not
really a big deal.

> Did your skipping of the membership process before being a delegate
> happen before the non-uploading DD vote or before the non-uploading DD
> process was well established? Was it because of the historical
> perception of separation between Debian and DebConf? Did you perceive
> the process to be heavyweight? Did the DPL at the time and the DebConf
> folks just not think about this? Were there other factors I'm failing
> to think of?

Non-uploading DD's existed at the time, I just had no interest in
becoming a non-uploading DD when it was already my intent to become an
uploading DD. Back in 2016 we were already doing a lot of work to bridge
more of those historical disconnects between Debian and Debconf, so that
wasn't a factor at all. Again, I didn't perceive the process as
heavyweight per sé, but I was doing a lot of different Debian work and
did become a DD 7 months later. I know it's not a record time but I
didn't feel a need to rush it either. No one ever had a problem with me
being a non-DD on the DebConf committee and it wasn't any kind of secret
either. I was involved when the DPL and DebConf people talked about it,
they simply agreed that it's not an issue and that you don't have to be
a DD in order to be on the DebConf committee.

TBH I'm having trouble following your line of questioning and exactly
what you're concerned about, if I missed something, please ask again and
keep it to one question per paragraph.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage