Re: On the "Debian Maintainers" GR

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:56:31 +0200, Pierre Habouzit
<madcoder@debian.org> said:

>   Debian should be about users and working together, the more I see
> arguments in favor of DM the more it's about introverted geeks, and
> uncoordinated work.

        Hmm. Debian is actually about creating the best OS ever, and
 taking into account the users best interests, whether the user knows
 them or not.  Very often the users have no clue what is in their best
 interest (and I have horror stories about that)

        The other thing here is that Debian should take into account
 a diverse group of users, not just a favorite subset of users out
 there (which is why I look askance at all the efforts to concentrate on
 novice users to the detriment of the workflows of experts, under the
 guise that experts need less help)

> Maybe we should care more about people that are nice to users rather
> about introverted guys that do not care about the rest of the world,
> shouldn't we ?

        Only if being nice to the users is in fact in their best
 interests. It some times is the case.  But the contributor I care about
 most are those that actually make the OS a better one; and competence
 and a work ethic greatly compensate for a prickly nature.

        I have no interest in a mediocre distribution produced by a
 bunch of nice, but otherwise incompetent, guys.

        Just putting all these sickly sweet sentiments in perspective.

        manoj
--
A real friend isn't someone you use once and then throw away. A real
friend is someone you can use over and over again.