Re: A question to the Debian community ...

On Fri, 18 May 2007 00:05:39 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

> What do you expect?  Do you tell people that breaking up with their
> partners is a shitty thing to do?  Lots of breakups are unfair.  They
> happen anyway.  Some of them come complete with the horrified and
> offended ex who can't understand why the relationship fell apart and
> who can't believe how horribly unfair the breakup was, and keeps
> hanging around, convinced that one day you'll realize just how badly
> you treated them and then everything will be wonderful again.  Often
> they're wonderfully decent human beings -- after all, that's why the
> relationship started in the first place.  Those are sometimes the ones
> that make you feel like crap.  You still don't get back together, and
> if you do, it's inevitably a horrible mistake.

        While all this is quite true, I don't think that it applies in
 this case: I don't see that the issue was handled unfairly.  The only
 unfair thing seems to be that the year long suspension did not come
 with a corresponding ban on the non technical mailing lists.

> It was a failure of social interaction.

        I think that is being far too unspecific. It was disruptive
 behaviour by a single individual, who managed  to get into a series of
 off putting, time wasting, irrelevant juvenile spats with a veritable
 who's who of people who are more than casually and peripherally
 involved in Debian, and action was taken to minimize the disruption.

        This scores long off topic thread (which, in my official role,
 I do have to monitor) seems proof enough to me that the situation has
 not changed appreciably.

        In the meanwhile, if this is not about an item that we are
 planning to hold a vote on, can we move this thread to some other
 mailing list, where I can safely killfile it?

        manoj
--
I think the world is run by C students. Al McGuire