Re: A question to the Debian community ...

Sven Luther <luther@debian.org> writes:

> What do you believe is causing the noise in question ?

Every time any topic comes up which comes anywhere near anything related
to your experiences, you bring up your experiences in that thread.  After
that, various people (usually different each time) respond, you respond to
every message everyone writes, various people respond to all your
messages, and we go down the same path again.

I'm not calling this noise to belittle the problems in question.  I don't
necessarily agree with you, but I understand why you're upset.  I'm
calling this noise because it doesn't change anything, and because no
matter how many times we go down this same discussion pattern, it's not
going to change anything.  It's just emotional venting, of the same
emotions that have been vented many, many times before.  We've been having
exactly the same discussion in exactly the same way for something like two
years now, and no one's mind is at this point going to change.  In fact,
the more that this comes up, the more set in concrete everyone's opinions
are going to be, and the more people are going to develop knee-jerk
reactions to the whole thing.

> And what do you believe would stop it ?

For everyone talking about these things, most definitely including
everyone who responds to you when you bring up your experiences, to stop
unless there is some concrete evidence that something specific and
immediate is going to change.

Having a GR is just going to result in another long discussion, some
conclusion which some people will be happy with and some people won't be
happy with, and no real incentive to stop talking about it still.  It
could change the situation for you personally if the GR overturns your
suspension.  I don't mean to imply it couldn't possibly do that.  However,
the discussion was specifically about the *noise*, and I don't see any
sign that a GR would do anything about the noise, regardless of the
outcome.

It's painfully simple, so much so that it's a cliche, but it really does
come down to deciding what may change and what won't and to stop spending
energy, time, and resources on ineffectual things.  There may be ways to
change your situation (although given how many times the above pattern has
been followed, I think that regardless of any merits the entire situation
is now set in concrete), but discussing it publicly on mailing lists
clearly isn't one of them, as has been demonstrated time and time again
for more than a year now.

I probably won't respond further to this thread, for all the reasons
spelled out above.