Re: A question to the Debian community ...

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> [...] Someone
> in a position of power makes a decision that is often more or less
> arbitrary and people either decide to live with it or leave.  Around that
> process, there is inevitably a ton of noise, but it always comes down to
> the same thing in the end.
>
> The difference in a professional workplace is that the people in authority
> aren't shy to make decisions, make them much earlier and faster, and
> enforce them in a considerably more draconian fashion than Debian does.

Professional is not a synonym of dictatorial.

I am glad never to have worked full-time in such a workplace and would like
to remind the project that another world is possible.  Instead of lusting
after such hard-and-heavy rulings, which almost never happen in volunteer
projects, we must try to find practical solutions.

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.