Re: will the irc channel be logged and accesible to non irc users ? [was : Re: Proposed General Resolution : IRC as a Debian communication channel]

Le Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 10:15:14AM +0100, Sven écrivait:
> Hello, ...

Hi,

> but in the case this resolution pass, does it mean that all developper must
> be on irc all the time to take part of the discution there ? What happens
> when someone goes to sleep, or when someone is not an irc user ? will he as
> thus be excluded from part of the discution happening on irc or while he is
> not connected ?

You don't need to use IRC. Discussions on IRC aren't publicly logged. So you
can't follow discussions happening there while you're not connected
(unless you have a spy reading for you ;-)).

If you read the general resolution, you'll see that the main
communication channel will always be the mailing lists. The IRC is
basically only an alternate non mandatory communication channel.

#debian-devel is commonly used to comment the content of the mailing
list, and if anything interesting is discovered on IRC, it will be
summarized or explained on the corresponding mailing list. Of course,
some subjects may only be discussed on IRC, but that should be considered
like 2 or 3 developers discussing a Debian problem via private mail.
If it concerns other developers, or if that information needs to be
shared, they'll do so on a mailing list.

> Is this an important topic to be discussed and clarified before we go to
> voting on this ?

I don't think so, since it's not really related.

Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com