Re: Proposed General Resolution : IRC as a Debian communication channel

Le Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 06:07:49PM +1000, Anthony Towns écrivait:
> The burden of proof is always on the person making a positive
> claim. "Prove that he's never read this book", versus "Prove that he
> has read this book", eg.

You're making the positive claim : « #debian-devel is out of Debian's
scope »

We could continue with such considerations endlessly ... it's not fun.
If you could concentrate on the real issue, that would be better.

> You've claimed that it *can* be official, and you've claimed that it
> effectively *is* official. I don't think you've even given any indication
> what the difference between it being "official" and "unofficial" would be,
> let alone why anyone would think one possibility is better than the other.

Of course I have :
- unofficial means "not referenced in any debian documentation"
  (note that it's mentionned in the welcome mail that elmo is sending to
  new developers so ... it's already "privately official" :-|)
- official means "documented" and therefore #debian-devel would follow the
  policy that Debian has decided for it (and I propose the "open" policy
  that let operators kick only on signal/noise consideration)

And official is better because the status of #debian-devel is recognized
and we won't get back to such problem each time someone gets kicked out
of #debian-devel because it would be easier to decide who was right.

> in person. The channel could just as easily have been called "#foobar"

Unfortunately it's called #debian-devel and people think that it's for
person interested in debian development ... scary no ?

> and still have the same function. Which is to say, the channel's utility
> and effectiveness have nothing to do with its officiality.

This can be argued : by officializing it more debian developers will know
about it and may join it... by letting future maintainers join (and
lurk), we'll let them learn faster how Debian works. It's not only about
the channel utility, it's also about the channel "role" (within Debian).

> So could you. Seriously. Start again, from first principles, and try to
> explain what you're on about.

I believe I have been quite consistent with my principles. Maybe some of
you don't share my principles. Maybe the majority doesn't share my
principles, that's exactly why we can (should) vote.

Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com