Re: Proposed General Resolution : IRC as a Debian communication channel

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:57:57AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Anyway what I meant is that i don't need to prove that #debian-devel
> is debian related and that it can be made official.

It cannot be made official because the resources on which #debian-devel
exists are not the property of Debian nor under the control of Debian. If
you insist on having #debian-devel be an Official Debian IRC Channel,
then I suggest you modify your GR to state:

"I propose that Debian dissociate itself from OpenProjects IRC Network and
 that Debian establish its own IRC network on its own hardware. This
 new IRC network will be called irc.debian.org and have no association
 with irc.openprojects.net."

Until that happens, the #debian-devel is a channel on OPN and will live
by OPN's policies, which, in effect, say that #debian-devel is allocated
to Wichert Akkerman.

I think your options are as follows:
(1) change your GR as I suggest above, or
(2) petition Wichert Akkerman to change the founder to the DPL *and*
    convince the DPL that these policies should be instituted *and*
    ensure that the DPL understands that the channel belongs to the DPL
    not to himself personally, or
(3) petition lilo to take #debian-devel away from Wichert Akkerman.

Option (3) is highly unlikely. Option (1) is unlikely to meet with the
approval of those organizations that sponsor the colocation of our
hardware. Option (2) is the most likely. Until you hear from Wichert
Akkerman, your GR is moot.

A Debian GR has no authority over Wichert Akkerman's use and or abuse of
#debian-devel on OPN, since OPN is not a Debian resource.

Wearing his OPN IRC Operator hat,

Luca

--
Luca Filipozzi
[dpkg] We are the apt. Resistance is futile. You will be packaged.