Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On 2/15/23 13:08, Michael Stone wrote:
On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 09:30:57AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
True. But I'd also suggest that if you do not want to support /etc/hosts files name resolution methods

/etc/hosts works and has worked fine on debian for decades

I've got around 5 machines still running some version of buster because the python-3 is too new for linuxcnc. Every one of them has had avahi removed by a root rm, and has some variation of this in an /etc/resolv.conf that is a real file, before the local network worked.

Something changed between buster and bullseye. And it appears from my testing just now, that the wintel buster has been fixed since the original install years ago. I just removed the +i from /etc/resolv.conf on one of those buster machines, commented out the "search coyote.den, nameserver" in /etc/resolv.conf and rebooted it, and the local net still works. NetworkMangler might not be running as a reboot did not clean up resolv.conf. ISTR that was also removed by a root rm at the time, and I don't think its ever been re-installed. Whatever, htop cannot find it running.

to. Your attitude that everybody with a two machine home network should run a bind instance just to lookup the other machine

you basically just made this up

No Michael, just recalling our interaction history, the general tone being to give me hell for using hosts files instead of running a dns.

Please demo that you can actually help someone who wants to use host files. It should NOT be a black art, to be denigrated at every response you make, to me, or to anyone else.

My prejudice against bind goes clear back to redhat-5.2 in about 2000, because I felt something was wrong with our q-mail server at WDTV.com, and rebooted it w/o a net cable before the hacker had a chance to clean up the logs, then it suddenly took down a large part of the internet in the next 2 hours. Bind was fixed in about 4 hours and I cleaned up after the perp. That was my intro to the black hats, and WDTV.com went to hosts files internally. Then the spam blew up, 1000's a day and I caught the net tech at our ISP as the poster, so we bought a block of 16 addresses from a different ISP. And with that, and finding dd-wrt a few days later was the end of our problems. And I've never trusted bind since. History as they say, is written by the winners. To a net user using hosts files, both avahi and network mangler are a major hindrance.

Keyword here is not "made up", its history. You've no real clue of the hassle those 2 default utilities have been to those of us who prefer hosts files for small private networks, because w/o a network to report them, the hassle does not get reported 98% of the time. That is the reality. Admit that it exists, because it sure does.

Take care & stay well, Michael.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis