Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 03:01:18PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 03:02:22PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > Yes Greg, you keep telling me that. But I'm in the process of bringing
> > up a 3dprinter farm, each printer with a bpi5 to manage octoprint. Joing
> > the other 4 on this net running buster and linuxcnc.
> >
> > Just last week I added another bpi5, copied the /etc/hosts file and
> > restarted networking. It could NOT find the other machines on my net
> > UNTIL I added that search directive to resolv.conf.  This net is about
> > 50/50 buster and bullseye.
> >
> > If what you say is true, that should not have been the fix, so explain
> > again why its not working, cuz it is.
>
> Because you change a bunch of things all the same time in a non-repeatable
> fashion, lose track of what you've done, and decide that the nonsense line
> did something.

As an experiment, Gene, what happens if you comment out or remove
the "search files, dns" (or whatever the exact syntax was) line in
your /etc/resolv.conf file?  Do /etc/hosts lookups stop working?

If they do, this is *huge* news, and I'd love to have all of the
relevant information to be able to reproduce this result, so that I
can begin to understand it.

If they don't, well, you know what that means.