Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On 2/15/23 02:30, Michel Verdier wrote:
Le 15 février 2023 gene heskett a écrit :

gene@bpi54:~$ grep -i bpi54 /etc/hosts
192.168.71.12		bpi54.coyote.den	bpi54
gene@bpi54:~$ getent hosts bpi54
fe80::4765:bca4:565d:3c6 bpi54
gene@bpi54:~$ ping -c1 coyote (this machines alias in /etc/hosts)
ping: coyote: Name or service not known

If coyote is really an alias and not part of domain name give us
grep -i coyote /etc/hosts

gene@bpi54:~$ grep -i coyote /etc/hosts
192.168.71.1		router.coyote.den	router
192.168.71.4		sixty40.coyote.den	sixty40
192.168.71.7		vna.coyote.deb		vna
192.168.71.8		rock64v2.coyote.den	rocj64v2 ender5plus
192.168.71.9		bpi51.coyote.den	bpi51
192.168.71.10		go704.coyote.den	go704
192.168.71.11		bpi53.coyote.den	bpi53
192.168.71.12		bpi54.coyote.den	bpi54
192.168.71.13		rpi4.coyote.den		rpi4
192.168.71.21		scanner.coyote.den	scanner
192.168.71.22		rock64.coyote.den	rock64
192.168.71.23		bpi52.coyote.den	bpi52
192.168.71.25		tlm.coyote.den		tlm
192.168.71.50		dddprint.coyote.den	dddprint

And this disclosed that I had not properly added coyote.coyote.den to the /etc/hosts file on that machine. That mistake, fixed, now makes the local net pingable. The rest of it, whats powered up, was/is all pingable. It just wasn't tried. This machine is generally the master, and when I couldn't ping it, I assumed none of the local stuff worked.

Checking that on some of my other machines disclosed that something besides me is mucking with the /etc/hosts on some, but not all, of the other machines. And its something I'll have to fix from the machines own keyboard because my /sshnet/localname network doesn't allow root logins. The /etc/hosts file on go704 has been stripped to just itself! Fixed and chattr +i added to it now.

So, I've some repair work to do, and some sudo chattr +i's to apply to /etc/hosts. The real question is who, besides me as sudo, has rights to edit /etc/hosts?

For what you show bpi54 is the short hostname so you need to do
ping -c1 bpi54
which worked
and not
ping -c1 coyote
which didn't because it was missing from the hosts file!

And I'm pretty sure I put it in there correctly when I installed armbian on it.

I'll own the mistake, my apologies to all. I thank you for the impetus to check, assuming it was as I put it when installing the machine.

Take care and stay well all.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)