Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On 2/14/23 15:20, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 03:01:18PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 03:02:22PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
Yes Greg, you keep telling me that. But I'm in the process of bringing
up a 3dprinter farm, each printer with a bpi5 to manage octoprint. Joing
the other 4 on this net running buster and linuxcnc.

Just last week I added another bpi5, copied the /etc/hosts file and
restarted networking. It could NOT find the other machines on my net
UNTIL I added that search directive to resolv.conf.  This net is about
50/50 buster and bullseye.

If what you say is true, that should not have been the fix, so explain
again why its not working, cuz it is.

Because you change a bunch of things all the same time in a non-repeatable
fashion, lose track of what you've done, and decide that the nonsense line
did something.

As an experiment, Gene, what happens if you comment out or remove
the "search files, dns" (or whatever the exact syntax was) line in
your /etc/resolv.conf file?  Do /etc/hosts lookups stop working?

Already done that a month or so ago, to satisfy my own curiosity, the answer is yes host lookups did fail again without it.

And just to make sure, I just went to it, removed the lsattr i, from resolv.conf, commented that line and rebooted. I can ping yahoo.com just fine, but this machine, 20 feet of cat5 away, is Name or service not found, no local network IOW.

Make what you will of that, maybe, just maybe, we'll solve a problem you've claimed does not exist. But it does. And I'm tired to being called a liar, in nicer terminology.

I'll leave it that way, using it as a test bed, at least until I need to put it to work, currently at least 2 weeks or more in the future since its eventual home is running an ender5+ I'm rebuilding from the frame up, Starting with triangulating the frame and a 3 phase nema 23 stepper/servo running on 42 volts for its Y drive. X drive is flying weight, subject to whatever works AND is light enough a 1NM nema23 can throw it around at 200 or more mm a second. That is the Achilles heel of the Ender 5 +, anything over 50mm will lose Y home long before the print is done. The last straw was 17days into a 28 day job, making outer housings for a BIG woodworkers vise screw, 6 up on the enders big plate.

If they do, this is *huge* news, and I'd love to have all of the
relevant information to be able to reproduce this result, so that I
can begin to understand it.

If they don't, well, you know what that means.

Yup, back to calling me a liar.
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)