Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On 2/14/23 18:12, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 05:51:52PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
Already done that a month or so ago, to satisfy my own curiosity, the answer
is yes host lookups did fail again without it.

And just to make sure, I just went to it, removed the lsattr i, from
resolv.conf, commented that line and rebooted.

Why on earth did you reboot?  Just edit the file, ping something, see
whether it works, and if it doesn't work, SHOW US THE DETAILS!

Just to make sure there wasn't any leftovers.
I can ping yahoo.com just
fine, but this machine, 20 feet of cat5 away, is Name or service not found,
no local network IOW.

Please show us at least the following:

An sh -Y into bpi54 still works.  So: copy/paste both directions.
cat /etc/debian_version
11.6
uname -a
Linux bpi54 5.19.16-meson64 #22.08.6 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 18 07:08:32 UTC 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux
hostname
bpi54
cat /etc/hostname
bpi54
grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:          files mymachines dns myhostname
cat /etc/host.conf
multi on
cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.71.1
grep -i WHATEVER /etc/hosts
gene@bpi54:~$ grep -i WHATEVER /etc/hosts
gene@bpi54:~$ grep -i bpi54 /etc/hosts
192.168.71.12		bpi54.coyote.den	bpi54
getent hosts WHATEVER
gene@bpi54:~$ getent hosts WHATEVER
gene@bpi54:~$ getent hosts coyote
gene@bpi54:~$ getent hosts bpi54
fe80::4765:bca4:565d:3c6 bpi54
ping -c1 WHATEVER
gene@bpi54:~$ ping -c1 coyote (this machines alias in /etc/hosts)
ping: coyote: Name or service not known
gene@bpi54:~$ ping -c1 yahoo.com
PING yahoo.com (74.6.231.21) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from media-router-fp74.prod.media.vip.ne1.yahoo.com (74.6.231.21): icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=62.8 ms

--- yahoo.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms

... where "WHATEVER" is the name of the machine you are trying to ping,
which is failing.

Also, anything else that you can think of that I might have forgotten.
We *really* need to know how to reproduce this.

I note my #comment has been removed from resolv.conf, so network mangler
has been there and rewritten it. That is the reason I normally do a
sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
as soon as I save after adding my "search hosts, nameserver" line to it,
otherwise Network Mangler will destroy it as it is right now.

Your turn, I'm going back to bed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis