Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 05:51:52PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> Already done that a month or so ago, to satisfy my own curiosity, the answer
> is yes host lookups did fail again without it.
>
> And just to make sure, I just went to it, removed the lsattr i, from
> resolv.conf, commented that line and rebooted.

Why on earth did you reboot?  Just edit the file, ping something, see
whether it works, and if it doesn't work, SHOW US THE DETAILS!

> I can ping yahoo.com just
> fine, but this machine, 20 feet of cat5 away, is Name or service not found,
> no local network IOW.

Please show us at least the following:

cat /etc/debian_version
uname -a
hostname
cat /etc/hostname
grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf
cat /etc/host.conf
cat /etc/resolv.conf
grep -i WHATEVER /etc/hosts
getent hosts WHATEVER
ping -c1 WHATEVER

... where "WHATEVER" is the name of the machine you are trying to ping,
which is failing.

Also, anything else that you can think of that I might have forgotten.
We *really* need to know how to reproduce this.