Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 10:12:32AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
Sorry, Gene's line was actually "search hosts, nameserver".

So, "ping coyote" should have triggered name resolution for "coyote.hosts"
and/or "coyote.nameserver".

It's just barely conceivable that *something* might have created a
resolvable entry for "coyote.hosts", and that some libnss-* module might
have returned a working IP address using it.

I just don't know what that *something* could be.

Why worry about it? We'll never get the actual state of the machines involved and thus will never be able to do more than speculate, so why waste more bytes going back and forth about it, sending messages to thousands of people who also can't get the information necessary to do more than guess?