Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

On 2021-03-10 at 21:22, Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z wrote:

>> I don't see why that would come up in this case.
>>
>> In the model I described, the original paths which you found
>> confusing are all still there, and anything which wants to find
>> things under them can continue to use them.
>>
>> All this model does is give those paths an additional name each,
>> and maybe go out of its way to hide the original names from you.
>> Just because there are new names, and you can't see the old ones
>> when you use one specific way of looking, doesn't mean that they
>> aren't there or that other things can't see them.
>
> Oh, now I understand what you mean, instead of doing it like the
> merge of /usr, you would make the new paths and not the old ones to
> be symbolic links.  Yes, it should not break anything.  Thanks.
>
> I have one question, does it work without breaking anything if I mark
> the old directories with a hidden atribute instead of some file
> manager specific configuration?

If that type of mark is possible in your environment, then no, this
shouldn't break anything.

However, as far as I'm aware, there is no non-file-manager-specific
"hidden" attribute for an *nix filesystem. The traditional way to make
most *nix programs treat a file as hidden is to rename the file so that
it starts with a '.' character - and renaming any of these directories
would, of course, bring back in the "existing programs can't find what
they expect" problem.

The need to introduce, or take advantage of, a file-manager-specific
"hidden" attribute is exactly the reason why I think a specialized file
manager for the purpose would probably be needed.

--
   The Wanderer