Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

> I don't see why that would come up in this case.
>
> In the model I described, the original paths which you found confusing
> are all still there, and anything which wants to find things under them
> can continue to use them.
>
> All this model does is give those paths an additional name each, and
> maybe go out of its way to hide the original names from you. Just
> because there are new names, and you can't see the old ones when you use
> one specific way of looking, doesn't mean that they aren't there or that
> other things can't see them.

Oh, now I understand what you mean, instead of doing it
like the merge of /usr, you would make the new paths
and not the old ones to be symbolic links.  Yes, it should not
break anything.  Thanks.

I have one question, does it work without breaking anything
if I mark the old directories with a hidden atribute instead of
some file manager specific configuration?