Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

On 2021-03-10 at 16:04, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 10 mar 21, 15:26:41, Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z wrote:

>> Thanks for your encouragement.  I hope someday it becomes real, and
>> only with the installation of one meta-package.
>
> Based on Debian's experience with usr-merge I'm guessing it's *much*
>  more involved than that.
>
> Paths are likely hard coded in a *lot* of places (besides the usual
> suspects, like shebangs).
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/UsrMerge

Well, if all you want is to be able to have more "newbie-friendly"
descriptive names of the directories, it might be possible to achieve
something like that by the simple addition of a collection of symlinks;
just symlink e.g. "/Configuration" to '/etc', '/Programs' to '/bin',
"/System Programs" to '/sbin', '/User Files' to '/home', et cetera.

That wouldn't get rid of the existing names, but it would be simple to
implement as a single nearly-empty package.

I imagine one could also set up a custom configuration of some file
browser such that it would hide displaying the "real" names, and then
ship a sort of micro-distro (installer task, maybe?) which installs the
symlinking package and that file browser as part of its standard UI
setup. It wouldn't be perfect, but it might meet the described want.

Then again, I seriously doubt the result would be remotely worth the
amount of effort which would have to be invested to implement it.

Also, I don't think it's terribly likely that such a package would be
accepted into Debian proper, although one could certainly make use of it
locally if one so desired; it would be unlikely to depend on anything
which changes enough for it to be able to break, so this is one case
where maintaining a local .deb (or even downloading and installing one
created by someone else) probably wouldn't hurt.

--
   The Wanderer