Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 07:45:16AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2021-03-10 at 07:27, Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z wrote:
>
> > By the way, what does "usr" mean?  I thought it was "user" untill I
> > took a look inside.  Just asking.
>
> I've traditionally understood it to stand for "UNIX Shared Resources",
> but V.E.R.A. (the Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms) doesn't list that
> as a definition; the nearest definition it does have which looks like it
> might be related is "User Service Routines".
>
> I can't completely rule out a derivation from "user", but I don't think
> that's usually considered likely.

Wikipedia [1] leans towards the derivation from "user":

  usr   The "user file system": originally the directory holding
        user home directories,[15] but already by the Third Edition
        of Research Unix, ca. 1973, reused to split the operating
        system's programs over two disks [...]

...and as usual they have references to follow, which I'm too lazy to
do now (as usual ;-)

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usr

 - t