Re: Moderation (not!) [was: Debian is testing Discourse]

Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 17:50:54 +0200 Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:

>> Yes, but the sender of a message has to actively do that and all
>> others have to follow it. Also you can't retroactively split of a
>> part of a thread into a new one.

> Although not clear from my comment, I am aware that thread splitting
> is easier at discourse (for example).  Thank you for making the point.

To be even more precise (and I know you know this was well, just
spelling it out for the archive):

Changing the state of a thread (change the subject, split the thread,
lock or delete it) is easier in *any* medium where you control the
central database in contrast to a system which has multiple
decentralized ones (if you call mailbox of each individual recipient a
"database").

>> How this would translate to the mail interface (my guess: it doesn't)
>> is

> I have to agree.

I know MS Exchange has a "recall email" function, which can create
confusion among its users, for example when one instance allows it and
another does not.

Usenet also has Cancel and Supersede control messages, which have in the
past been (ab)used to various degrees, up to the fact that today most
sites don't honor them, whereas some do, but only when used with the
correct Cancel-Key in the header, a mechanism not all clients are able
to use.

In the end: it is a mess.

Grüße,
S!