Re: Moderation (not!) [was: Debian is testing Discourse]

Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 11:05:05 +0200 <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 09:56:24AM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

>>> You can close threads, so no further messages can be added (stops
>>> hi-jacking, drift, etc.)

>> I don't see why mailing list software (technically) can't offer this
>> too. But I won't further belabour that point.

> I'm sure it can.  Thread splitting is easy enough, with an MUA that
> allows you to do it, but at the archive end, IDK.

Yes, but the sender of a message has to actively do that and all others
have to follow it. Also you can't retroactively split of a part of a
thread into a new one.

With a web-forum the admin/moderator can split the thread, even after
the fact and everybody is forced to follow.

How this would translate to the mail interface (my guess: it doesn't) is
another question.

Grüße,
Sven
(who in the past had the "fun" of integrating a Mailman list into a
phpBB3 forum)

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.