Moderation (not!) [was: Debian is testing Discourse]

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 12:36:15AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 12:47:52 -0700
> Ihor Antonov <ihor@antonovs.family> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, April 12, 2020 12:39:43 PM PDT John Hasler wrote:

[...]

> > > "Ease of moderation" is *not* a plus.
> >
> > +1
> > Observing how zealots have moderated Norbert Preining is a perfect example of how
> > biased and closed-minded those moderators can be.
>
> +1
>
> Moderation seems eminently reasonable on paper, but in practice, my
> experiences with it have been generally bad (stack exchange sites, some
> other mailing lists).

Please, folks. The subject (mail vs discourse) is thorny enough,
eliciting strong emotions (myself included).

Mixing it up with group moderation is going to kill any chance
of having a productive discussion.

It is as easy to moderate a mailing list as it is a platform à la
discourse. So this isn't a criterion to decide between both.

So please: let's take one thing at a time, will we?

Thanks & cheers
-- tomás