Re: Using Sid (was: New `no sound' problems)

On 8/9/18, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 08:14:44 +0200
>> deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> for my workstation (I want to turn it on and just work), I use
>>> stable. For my server(s) the same. IMO Sid belongs in a VM for
>>> playing arround. If you want to be one step ahead of time, try
>>> testing it is usually stable.
>>
>> Outside the release freeze, testing is only a little more stable than
>> unstable, and gets fixes later. In the long term, there's not a lot to
>> choose.
>
> don't think so because after unstable iteration, the fixes usually work
> intesting.

That was my experience with testing.. Buster. It worked great *for me*.

I did finally figuratively "run away" while very literally "shrieking"
one day because there were SO MANY upgrades. I wasn't able to do both
that and the advocacy that MUST be done from behind this keyboard
right now. That just doesn't work on dialup... unfortunately... or I
would still be on testing.. :)

The first time I did testing was for Stretch. That happened to be at
the end of the cycle just before it became stable. It spoiled me.
Upgrades are much rarer at that point because Developers have
consciously put a hold on any new tweaks so as to have a product
that's legitimately ready to wear the tag "stable".

Something like that... :)

BECAUSE things are getting ready to roll over again sooner than later,
I decided this week to try another testing debootstrap. In fact, let's
do that right now. See ya! Can't do that and chat online at the same
time, either, dialup yada-yada.. :D

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey